Obesity Is On The Rise: Let’s Help Texas Get to Number One
According to Wallethub.com, Texas recently ranked Number 15 as the most overweight state in the nation.
HELLO...PANDEMIC! I mean how many of us have actually lost weight since the pandemic began? Okay, YOU hush.
Now, obesity isn't a laughing matter, in fact, according to the same report at Wallethub.com. "“Fat” is becoming the new normal in America. Recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 7 in 10 U.S. adults aged 20 and older are either overweight or obese.
Still, to a Texan, being ranked number 15, for anything, isn't a laughing matter either.
Especially, if it entails being outranked by West Virginia who ranked number 1 or Mississippi at 2 and Arkansas at 3. I'm suspect about where Wallethub got their intel, especially seeing as they hail from Washington, DC and you know you can't trust anyone from... well maybe I shouldn't push my luck. You never know who is listening.
But number 15, really? Have you ever tasted Texas BBQ? Texas QUESO? Fiddlesticks and gumdrops Victoria, we've got to up our game.... in the name of TEXAS!
We've got a reputation to uphold.
Hello, EVERYTHING is BIGGER IN TEXAS!
At the studio, JP and I spend an exorbitant amount of time discussing food on and off the air, so it should be no surprise to anyone who listens that we could name 15 amazing Texas dishes that if eaten often enough could get us into the number 1 ranking. Tamales, tacos, fried pickles, fried steak, fried chicken...anything and everything fried...the list goes on.
But let's talk specifics Victoria and feel free to add on to this list by hollering at us on our station apps. We have no idea how many calories are in these dishes from local Victoria restaurants, we just know we love them.
Here are 10 of our favorite local Victoria restaurant dishes, to do our part.
Don't mess with Texas waistlines!
1. Ribeye at Francis Maries, yes with rice and beans.
2. Gyro from Grumpy's Meatzzeria. It's insanely delicious. It comes with fries.
3. Vegan Barbacoa Tacos w/ charro lentil beans from The Green Table (YEP, one of us is VEGAN)
4. Froggy's Pub Nachos. Two words- With Brisket.
5. Green Curry Pork from Noot's Thai Kitchen. It's literally what I hope heaven tastes like.
6. Fried Gizzards at Moo-Moos. N'ough said.
7. Chicken Fried Chicken from Double J Eatery. Soooo good.
8. Pecan Encrusted Tuna WITH Mashers at Sky Restaurant. While you're there BOTTLE TOPS. Trust us.
9. Tamales. From Ventura's Tamales. Duh.
10. Last but not least, and because we KNOW more are coming from you... Spaghetti Carbonara from Joe's Pizza and Pasta. Now that's Victorian. Er' Italian!
Free free to vote for your favorite dish in Victoria from a local restaurant below!
LOOK: 50 photos of American life in 2020