Adopt-A-Beach Cleanup Set for This Weekend
We all enjoy our beautiful beaches in South Texas, but unfortunately some people don't take care of their trash. That's why the Texas General Land Office puts together the Adopt-A-Beach program, so people like you and I can volunteer a little time and help clean up. Here are a few facts from the General Land Office:
- The Adopt-A-Beach Program is an all-volunteer program that began in 1986 in an effort to rid Texas beaches of litter.
- Since the program began, 430,000 volunteers have removed more than 8,300 tons of trash from the Texas coastline.
- The Adopt-A-Beach cleanups are an opportunity to come together with family and friends and hopefully meet new friends while doing something good for the community and the environment.
- The volunteers are what make this program so successful.
- The 26th Annual Texas General Land Office Fall Cleanup will be held at 29 sites all along the Texas coast on Saturday, September 22nd from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
- There are three (3) sites in the Victoria area –Magnolia Beach/Indianola, King Fisher Beach and Austwell Pier.
- Since the cleanups began, 8,721 (more than 8,700) volunteers have removed 250 tons of trash from the Victoria region.
- Last spring, 191 volunteers cleaned 2,550 pounds of trash from Magnolia and Indianola beaches.
- Approximately 200 volunteers attend this site for each cleanup and clean 6 miles of beach.
- Since the cleanups began here in 1995, 6,857 (more than 6,800) volunteers have removed 193 tons of trash from Magnolia and Indianola beaches.
Locate the site you want to attend at www.texasadoptabeach.org.
- Register online or just show up at the site of choice on Saturday, September 22nd.
- Large groups should pre-register by contacting the local site coordinator or register online by Wednesday, September 19th – or just show up that morning between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.
- Volunteers will need to wear closed toe shoes and bring – sunscreen, sunglasses, bug repellant, a hat, and drinking water.
- On September 22nd, check in at the site location of choice and receive your supplies (trash bags, gloves, data cards, and pencils).
- Go clean the beach.
- When finished cleaning, return back to the check-in site and turn in your data cards and enjoy some refreshments.